Healing Hypotheses  



In an undated note to his son, Dresser says:

I came across a few biographical data the other day, while looking over some of my papers, and I thought you might like the paper; so I have copied it off. This tells something about myself previous to the time of biographical sketches in such works as "Who's Who." So here you are.

Horatio Willis Dresser, born January 15, 1866, 7 A.M., Yarmouth, Maine. Moved to Webster, Mass., (from Westbrook, Maine) in autumn of 1866. Father owned and published The Webster Times, a weekly newspaper, until 1874. Visited grandparents in Yarmouth nearly every summer. Father's health broke down, family moved to Dansville, N.Y., April, 1874: near the health home there. First attended school in Dansville, at age of 8. Visited Maine in June, 1876, where last saw grandfather. Returned to Dansville, and family went to Denver, Colo, in July; we camped at Manitou, in foothills of Pike's Peak, that summer. Father bought house on Welton St., Denver, where we spent the winter. House sold, moved to California, in March, 1877. Lived in Oakland and Napa. Attended grammar school in Oakland, while we lived at 1967 Grove St. First occupations for pay: selling lampshades and distributing physician's cards from door to door. Moved to Willows, Colusa Co., at terminus of Cal. Pacific R.R., where father was station agent. Began to



Healing Hypotheses

learn railroad and telegraph business from father and his assistant, the operator. Became telegraph operator for a small line running north from Willows to Germantown and Oakland, 1879. Also messenger for Western Union. All moved to Pinole, on main line of Central Pacific, 18 miles from Oakland, in 1881. Station agent and telegraph operator in father's name (father too ill to work and could not telegraph). Salary, 75,00 [sic] per month. Also agent for Wells Fargo and Co's Express, and telephone agent for a powder co. Visited Southern Cal. on vacation, Feb., 1882.

Left with family for Boston, May 11, 1882; arrived Boston, May 17, and Yarmouth same day, on visit to grandmother. Spent summer in Yarmouth and Auburn (worked at latter place in Chas. Cushman's shoeshop, keeping accounts in the stitching-room at $1,00 [sic] per day). Father in Boston that summer in water business. Resigned in Auburn and went to Boston, Oct. 1, 1882. Lived at 215 W. Springfield St. Attended Chauncey Hall School two days, took bookkeeping lessons, and studied arithmetic and elocution (to overcome defect in speech [apparently successfully overcome]). Seriously ill in November. Parents took up practice of mental healing at 14 West Chester Park (now part of Mass. Ave). Family moved to Hotel Boylston, cor. of Tremont and Boylston, for summer of 1883; then to Hotel Howland, 218 Columbus Ave., for year. Worked as clerk for a time in store of Health Food Co., 199 Tremont St., (Mr. W. H. Pratt, agent). Moved to Hotel Huntington (later the Nottingham), Huntington Ave. and Blagden Street, Aug., 1884. Parents practising and teaching mental healing. Gave service for a time to Geo. M. Whitaker, owner and editor of the New England Farmer (wrote shorthand and read proof).   Became business

Healing Hypotheses


manager and bookkeeper, 1886-1888. Resigned position, and took French lessons preparatory to going to Europe. Practised mental healing in co-operation with parents, beginning in 1884. Sailed for Europe with Hooker-Swain party, June 16, 1888. Had private tutor in English, fall and winter of 88-89. With family in Fort Edward, N.Y. summer of 1889. Lectured in co-operation with parents, fall of 1889, at new home, 19 Blagden St., opposite the rear of the Huntington. Europe with party, summer of 1889, as part assistant to Hooker-Swain. Fitted for Harvard under tutor, 1890-91. Entered as special, fall of 1891, after failing to pass entrance exams in June. Studied in Dublin, N.H. (where family spent summer, 1892). Passed exams. in fall and entered as regular student. Father d. May 10, 1893. Left college for time, but returned for final exams. Spent summer with mother and brothers, Intervale, N.H. Tried college for a while in the fall, but left on account of ill-health in December. Lost all credit for junior year. We lived at 481 Beacon Street on[e] year. Lectured with mother to small classes there, early months of 1894. Asked to print second lecture, "The Immanent God," first publication. Rewrote other lectures and published first book, "The Power of Silence," May 10, 1895. We moved next to 105 Irving St., Cambridge; wrote second book, "The Perfect Whole," there[.] Returned to Harvard for part-time work as special student. Received A. B. out of course, 1905; A.M., as earned in 1904. See Who's Who for list of books and other occupations.

Back | Contents | Next